About This Blog

"Look again. Are you sure? Is it really gluten free? ..........Read the label again, or call the 1-800 number on the back!.... Is tapioca flour the same thing as tapioca starch? Well if it is, then why isn't potato starch the same thing as potato flour?!?! Does 'glutamate' contain gluten? What the heck is Xanthan gum? Gluten Free...Gluten Free...Gluten Free...."

Welcome to the inside of my head ladies and gentlemen. This is what consumed my dreams all last night. Dreaming about the three little words: Going Gluten Free.

I am the wife of a farmer who has been diagnosed with celiac disease. I had never even heard of the disease let alone what the heck it meant! How was I supposed to completely change our lifestyle and eating habits while dealing with the last three months of my pregnancy. It just seemed to much to handle. All of the new weird lingo, the confusing labels, the millions of new flours and starches I had never even heard of before, are now the main product I had to bake with. Here is our story of the trials, successes, and failures of going gluten free.

Thursday, September 8, 2011

I Want to Eat a Dinner I Can Pronounce Please!

When I first found out about my husband having celiac's, I kinda freaked out and searched for ANY and ALL gluten free recipes I could find online. The result? A shopping list full of strange foods I could hardly pronounce! I also noticed that almost all the recipes were Indian dishes or Thai food dishes. This may not be everyone's experience but for me it was. All the gluten free recipes that came up online when I searched for them were strange and I didn't even feel confident cooking them because they were so new and had many ingredients I had never heard before.

It wasn't until I had a few days to calm down that I realized that the recipe does NOT have to say gluten free in the title for it to be GF. In fact, it hit me that I could still cook ANY recipe I wanted, I only had to tweak or alter it a bit to make it safe for a GF diet! Lets say I wanted to make a pasta salad or spaghetti. All I would need to do is alter is the pasta noodles and buy a GF brand. Or lets say I wanted to make gravy, instead of using the flour it calls for to thicken it up, I could use corn starch or sweet rice flour. 

So anyways, my point is if you are at the stage were your mind is trapped in a box and you are to afraid to try any recipe unless it has gluten free in the title like I was, I give you permission to step out of that box and don't feel confined by GF recipes, instead be adventurous and tweak any non-gluten free recipe you want!

Ah, isn't freedom sweet?

No comments:

Post a Comment