About This Blog

"Look again. Are you sure? Is it really gluten free? ..........Read the label again, or call the 1-800 number on the back!.... Is tapioca flour the same thing as tapioca starch? Well if it is, then why isn't potato starch the same thing as potato flour?!?! Does 'glutamate' contain gluten? What the heck is Xanthan gum? Gluten Free...Gluten Free...Gluten Free...."

Welcome to the inside of my head ladies and gentlemen. This is what consumed my dreams all last night. Dreaming about the three little words: Going Gluten Free.

I am the wife of a farmer who has been diagnosed with celiac disease. I had never even heard of the disease let alone what the heck it meant! How was I supposed to completely change our lifestyle and eating habits while dealing with the last three months of my pregnancy. It just seemed to much to handle. All of the new weird lingo, the confusing labels, the millions of new flours and starches I had never even heard of before, are now the main product I had to bake with. Here is our story of the trials, successes, and failures of going gluten free.

Monday, September 26, 2011

Gluten Free Peach Cobbler Failure.

The other day my husband and I tried a GF peach cobbler dutch oven recipe I found. It was a disaster. I took one bite and could not eat the rest. It tasted like play-doh. We threw out the rest. But using the dutch oven and sitting out side enjoying the evening was fun =)

Here is the recipe I found online and used:


2 large (or 4 small) cans peaches in pear juice, quartered
1/4 cup tapioca pearls
1 cup gluten free flour blend (I used Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free All-Purpose)
2 TB coconut palm sugar (you can use brown sugar if you want)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup milk/dairy replacement
1/4 cup coconut palm sugar (or brown sugar)
1/2 cup cold butter/butter replacement, cut into small cubes


1. Pour one can of peaches with juice into the dutch oven. Drain the other can of peaches. Discard the juice and add the peaches to the dutch oven. Sprinkle the tapioca pearls over the peaches.

2. In a medium mixing bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir to combine. Whisk in the milk. Pour/drop this batter over the peaches. Sprinkle the sugar over the batter and then dot with butter. Cook with coals/briquettes on top and bottom for 25-30 minutes, or until the batter is set and golden brown on top. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.


Some people say it was great! Maybe I messed up, but I followed the recipe exactly. But if you give it a try let me know it turns out for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment