About This Blog

"Look again. Are you sure? Is it really gluten free? ..........Read the label again, or call the 1-800 number on the back!.... Is tapioca flour the same thing as tapioca starch? Well if it is, then why isn't potato starch the same thing as potato flour?!?! Does 'glutamate' contain gluten? What the heck is Xanthan gum? Gluten Free...Gluten Free...Gluten Free...."

Welcome to the inside of my head ladies and gentlemen. This is what consumed my dreams all last night. Dreaming about the three little words: Going Gluten Free.

I am the wife of a farmer who has been diagnosed with celiac disease. I had never even heard of the disease let alone what the heck it meant! How was I supposed to completely change our lifestyle and eating habits while dealing with the last three months of my pregnancy. It just seemed to much to handle. All of the new weird lingo, the confusing labels, the millions of new flours and starches I had never even heard of before, are now the main product I had to bake with. Here is our story of the trials, successes, and failures of going gluten free.

Monday, September 12, 2011

Happy Birthday My Dear Farmer!

It's my husbands birthday and I had planned for months to make his favorite Lazy Lady cake, but sadly a few weeks ago he was diagnosed with Celiac's. I quickly had to switch some of the plans I had made for his birthday (such as his birthday dinner and birthday cake.) I felt so sad as I watched him drool over all the cakes he couldn't have at the store (he was especially drooling over the pound cake) and I was determined to make him an even better cake! A cake that was gluten free and DELICIOUS! So I got to work looking online for a killer recipe. I finally found a pound cake recipe that I wanted to try out. I made the batter last night and baked a small portion just to be sure we would have a scrumptious cake not a yucky one. Turns out it was a HUGE success! It was perfectly moist, tender, and sweet. My husband said he thought he had died and went to gluten free heaven!  Here are some pictures of that fabulous pound cake.

Here is the link for the recipe: http://www.landolakes.com/recipe/1312/vanilla-pound-cake-gluten-free-recipe




2 cups sugar
1 cup melted
4 eggs 
4 teaspoons gluten-free vanilla
3 cups Gluten-Free Flour Blend (see below)
2 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
1 cup milk



Heat oven to 350°F. Grease 12-cup Bundt® or 10-inch angel food cake (tube) pan; sprinkle with gluten-free flour blend. Set aside. 

Combine sugar and melted butter in large bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy. Add 1 egg at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla; beat until well mixed. 

Stir together gluten-free flour blend and baking powder in small bowl. Gradually add flour blend mixture alternately with milk to butter mixture, beating at low speed until well mixed. 

Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pan. 

Gluten-Free Flour Blend: To make flour blend, combine 2 cups rice flour, 2/3 cup potato starch, 1/3 cup tapioca flour and 1 teaspoon xanthan gum. Use appropriate amount for recipe; store remainder in container with tight-fitting lid. Stir before using. 

No comments:

Post a Comment