About This Blog

"Look again. Are you sure? Is it really gluten free? ..........Read the label again, or call the 1-800 number on the back!.... Is tapioca flour the same thing as tapioca starch? Well if it is, then why isn't potato starch the same thing as potato flour?!?! Does 'glutamate' contain gluten? What the heck is Xanthan gum? Gluten Free...Gluten Free...Gluten Free...."

Welcome to the inside of my head ladies and gentlemen. This is what consumed my dreams all last night. Dreaming about the three little words: Going Gluten Free.

I am the wife of a farmer who has been diagnosed with celiac disease. I had never even heard of the disease let alone what the heck it meant! How was I supposed to completely change our lifestyle and eating habits while dealing with the last three months of my pregnancy. It just seemed to much to handle. All of the new weird lingo, the confusing labels, the millions of new flours and starches I had never even heard of before, are now the main product I had to bake with. Here is our story of the trials, successes, and failures of going gluten free.

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Miss the taste of Pizza?

Last night my husband and I made our first Gluten Free Pizza! Although it was not from scratch because a friend gave us "Bob's Red Mill Pizza Mix." But here is the GF pizza sause recipe we used (which was SO good!)


Ingredients

  • 1 (4-ounce) can tomato paste
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • cloves garlic, minced
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano leaves
  • 1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh basil leaves
  • 1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves

Directions

Mix together the tomato paste, water, and olive oil. Mix well. Add garlic, salt and pepper, to taste, oregano, basil, and rosemary. Mix well and let stand several hours to let flavors blend. No cooking necessary, just spread on dough. (My husband and I did not have a few hours for the flavors to mix so we put it in a sauce pan and let it heat up for 20 minutes and it worked beautifully and tasted amazing!)

We then topped the pizza with green peppers, olives, pepperoni (check ingredients to make sure its GF) Mozzarella cheese, and Cheddar cheese! It was a great meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment